You wouldn’t commonly think of adding whole wheat grains like rice or jowar to a salad, but their close cousin, Barley, serves the purpose rather fabulously and easily. This is also an excellent way to use up the barley leftover from making Barley water!
- 1 cup barley, soaked in water for 1-2 hours
- 1 sweet lime, segmented
- 1 orange, segmented
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
- 1 beetroot, boiled and cut into cubes
- ¼ cup cashew halves, toasted
- ½ cup Red Amaranth leaves, roughly torn
- ¼ cup Spinach leaves, roughly torn
- ¼ cup mint leaves, roughly torn
- ¼ cup fresh malai paneer, cubed
For the dressing:
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 teaspoon Rock Salt
- 2 teaspoons Raw Sugar
- Freshly ground black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Cook the barley in 3 cups water and a little salt until tender (you could also pressure cook). Drain and allow to cool.
- Prepare the dressing by mixing all the ingredients and whisking vigorously.
- Toss all the salad ingredients and the dressing together and serve immediately.