Home baked cookies are such a delight. Packaged biscuits just can’t compare with a warm cookie, fresh out of the oven. For gluten intolerant and gluten sensitive individuals, finding a sweet baked treat can be difficult, but with this recipe on hand, it doesn’t have to be. With just a few minutes of preparation you can have a deliciously sweet, soft, chocolatey cookie ready to eat. Light and fluffy, rich with chocolate and imbued with the subtle taste of honey, these cookies should not be missed.
Sorghum (jowar) is an ancient grain that is rich in B vitamins, and essential minerals including magnesium, phosphorus, and iron. These health benefits make sorghum flour a great substitute for wheat flour, even for those without gluten sensitivities. For those who don’t eat eggs, feel free to substitute the egg with 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds. Enjoy these cookies with milk or an extra drizzle of honey.
- 120 grams sorghum flour (jowar atta)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- 75 grams virgin coconut oil (about 6 tbsp)
- 80 grams honey (about 4 tbsp)
- 2 tbsp water
- ½ tsp vanilla essence (optional)
- 6-8 tablespoons chocolate chips or chunks
- Mix together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl, use a fork or whisk to beat the egg, then mix in the coconut oil, honey, water and vanilla essence. If your coconut oil is solidified, be sure to melt it before adding it to the mixture.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and mix until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the chocolate, adjusting the quantity to your liking. The dough may look quite wet at this point, but will solidify after cooling.
- Place the dough in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Form the dough into small balls about the size of a golf ball, and place on a baking tray, a few centimetres apart from one another. Be sure that your baking tray is either greased or lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges of the cookies are golden brown.
- Allow to cool and serve!